Here it is! The recipe for the flatbreads we made at Camp Quirky. We make these nearly every day in van. It only take a s few minutes to knock up the dough and whilst taking the dog out for her morning walk we leave the dough to prove.
These flatbreads are extremely versatile and just about any herb can be added for flavour depending on what you are serving them with. We often like them with just butter for a yummy and filling breakfast.
- 1 Skillet Pan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 500 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Dry Active Yeast
- 150 ml Hot Water
- 150 ml Milk
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Handful Herb of your choice Maybe add grated garlic 🙂
- In a large mixing bowl add 500g of Plain Flour, 1tsp of Salt and 2tbsp of Dry Active Yeast. Combine it all together with a fork.
- Cautiously Add 150ml of cold milk to 150ml of hot water to result in a warm liquid. Add the liquid to the flour and roughly mix it taking care not to make it overly wet.
- Add 3tbsp of Olive Oil and then knead the dough for about 3 minutes. It should result in a springy dough that bounces back when pressed.
- Sprinkle a little water on to the dough and cover with a tea towel. Leave in a warm place like on your dashboard.
- Leave to rest for at least 1 hour, so go for a walk and explore.
- By this time the dough will be about double its size. Turn it out on to a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 balls. Oh and heat your pan to a medium heat.
- Flatten one of the dough balls out to a disc about 7-8cm in diameter and 1cm thick.Place it onto the hot pan and dry fry each side for about 4-5 minutes. The flatbread will form bubbles. Ideally 3 or 4 large bubbles.Whilst cooking prepare the next flatbread.
- Coat each finished bread with melted butter or herbs. We like to use a sprinkle of paprika and some finely chopped parsley.
Here’s how we make flat bread in our van. Delish! #vanlifeuk #vanlife #camper #breadtok #food #tiktokfood #breadrecipe #bread #vanconvetsion #vanlifediaries #vanlifeeats♬ Just a Cloud Away – Pharrell Williams