MeShell’s diner cornbread is a very versatile recipe, and so easy to make – even in a van! In fact I even made an award winning version in the van at the Vanlife Eats Big Picnic this year! It can be made savory or sweet with the addition of honey. It’s a great accompaniment to stews, soups and chili. I use it as a topping for my Tamale Pie recipe.
For this cornbread recipe you will need to source Corn/Maize Meal. Do not confuse Corn Meal with Corn Flour, here’s an article to help clear up which is which! I’ve found course and fine Maize Meal in Holland & Barretts. Buy both and combine. I have also found Maize Meal in Europe as well.
This cornbread recipe also calls for Buttermilk. If you can’t source buttermilk. Measure out 1 ⅓ cups of milk and add either a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to turn the milk. Stir and leave for about 15mins. Enjoy!
If you want to see more of our recipes, check out our profile here!
MeShell’s Diner Cornbread
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups or scales
- Cast iron skillet/baking dish
- 1 cup corn flour 155gr maize meal
- 1 cup plain flour 155gr
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk 340ml
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190f
- In a mixing bowl measure out all dry ingredients, stir to combine.
- In another mixing bowl measure out buttermilk, add eggs and melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly start pouring wet ingredients into dry ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Once all incorporated, pour mixture into a cast iron skillet if you have one. If not, pour into a baking dish.
- Place in hot oven and bake. You can test if the cornbread is completely cooked by inserting a knife into the bread. If it comes out clean cornbread is done. Should be golden brown on top.