We made this Omnia vegan Victoria sponge for one of our talks at Campervan Campout. It’s great for get togethers or even just for family trips! A victoria sponge is such a classic cake, and it really makes every day a special occasion.
Omnia vegan Victoria sponge
Perfect for sharing with fellow vanlifers on the road. The ideal vegan sponge cake for Summer. This recipe makes 2 large sponges, you will be unable to fit all the mixture into the Omnia in one go, so you need to bake each half seperately. You can halve it if you wanted a smaller cake and cut it into 2.10 Ingredients or less – Family friendly – Stove top meal
- 2 1/2 cups Self-raising flour
- 1 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 115 ml vegetable oil
- 400 ml soy milk sweetened
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 handful strawberries
- 400 g vegan buttercream icing
- Put the Omnia on the hob to pre-heat without the silicone mould inside.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a bowl & mix through.
- In a measuring jug add the oil, soy milk, syrup and vanilla extract and mix together.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until light and fluffy.
- Pour half the mixture into the mould. Turn the heat up on the hob for the first 5 minutes to help the cake rise then turn it down to a low/medium heat for 40 minutes or until done. Test with a skewer or knife.
- Leave to cool for around 15-20 minutes.Turn out carefully. Clean the mould, pour in the rest of the mixture and repeat the baking process.
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before turning it out
- When completely cool, place one of the cakes on the plate and cover in the strawberry jam.
- Add the butter icing, then place the other cake on top
- There will be some icing left over, you can use this on the top if you would like. We just like to add sliced strawberries.
If you are cooking in a conventional oven these can be baked in a 9 inch cake tin. Bake on Gas mark 4, for 35-40 minutes or until done We prefer to use the pre-made butter icing for ease in the van, but you can make your own with vegan spread, icing sugar and some vanilla extract. *Pro tip* – If you are part-time in your van you can put the dry ingredients together in a ziploc bag ready to use in the van.
Calories: 373kcalCarbohydrates: 74gProtein: 4gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 195mgPotassium: 101mgFiber: 1gSugar: 52gVitamin A: 132IUVitamin C: 7mgCalcium: 54mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!