This Omnia blueberry cake went down an absolute treat in our campervan. This recipe is ideal if you are a blueberry fan, and a great recipe for any campervan. For Mark’s birthday I wanted to try baking something different to a traditional birthday cake. We had been looking online at seasonal produce and saw bilberries. I then saw a recipe for a bilberry upside down cake and really wanted to try it. We went to a few different shops and couldn’t find any, I didn’t have the time to forage any either (although it’s the right time of year for it!) So I had to settle on blueberry upside down cake instead.
Luckily Mark had a humongous punnet of blueberries in the fridge, they were taking up so much space and needed using up – got to use up those leftovers and space is at a premium in a campervan fridge! So I decided to try a blueberry upside down cake – in the Omnia of course. With not having an oven in our van, the Omnia comes in handy. I love the round cakes we make in it, you can make them into a real feature.
So there you go, I used Mark’s blueberry stash to make his own birthday cake – he didn’t mind when he tasted it though.This recipe would work well with other fruit too. Don’t forget to rate it and leave a review if you try it
Omnia Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- Omnia Oven
For the Blueberry topping
- 1 1/2 Cups Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
For the cake mixture
- 1/4 Cup Butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
For the blueberry topping
- Put the blueberries and the 1/2 cup brown sugar into the silicone mould. Put into the Omina over a medium flame, whilst preparing the cake mixture.
For the cake mixture
- While the blueberries are cooking, prepare the cake mixture.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the 2 eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt. Mix into the mixture.
- Stir in the milk until well incorporated.
- Remove the Omnia from the heat, the blueberries and sugar should have cooked down and be soft with lots of liquid. Pour the batter over the top.
- Cook over a medium flame for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Leave until cool enough to flip over onto a plate, and then job done! Just the fun of eating it all up then.