MeShell’s diner is dishing up the goods again. These maple pecan pie bars are to die for! A brilliant recipe for vanlife, campervans & motorhomes everywhere. Each slice brings the taste of a good ol’ american diner.
Maple syrup and pecans are a match made in heaven, and the flavour combo is something else. Pecan pie is such an American classic, these pie bars take it to the next level, and it will be hard to eat just one.
MeShell made this for the bake off at the Vanlife Eats Big Picnic and she was crowned a worthy winner. This recipe does require an oven and a fridge. They are great to prepare in the van and take on picnics, hikes, or treks. To be honest we could eat them all day regardless.
MeShell’s Diner Maple Pecan Pie Bars
- Measuring spoons
- 8×8 baking dish
For shortbread base
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the pecan pie bar filling
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup maple syrup or maple flavoured golden syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
For the base
- Mix together all ingredients for the crust – flour, butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla, until combined.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper
- Use your hands to press the mixture smoothly into the pan
- Bake at 300 f/150c/gas mark 2 for 22-25 mins, until edges are golden and begin to brown
- In a large bowl, mix together the pecan pie bar filling. Eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, cream, flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Once mixed, stir in the pecan pieces
- When crust is done baking, pour the filling over the top.