This awesome pear and ginger mochi cake was crowned star baker in cake week in the Van Bake Off 2022. This creation was entered by Yarrow of @thevvessell such a great flavour combination and gluten free!
There are a couple of variations to the recipe so be sure to read to the bottom!
Pear and Ginger Mochi Cake
- 8/9 inch cake tin / bundt pan
- 2 Pears Sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup Butter Browned, melted
- 1 cup Milk (I tend to use mixture of coconut milk & whole milk)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar white (or organic white)
- 1 cup Sweet white rice flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger root finely grated
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/175C/Gas mark 3
- Butter cake pan – Use parchment paper if using the square tin
- Layer pears on the bottom of the buttered tin. Sprinkle the pears with 1 tbsp of the brown sugar. Drizzle 1 tbsp of the browned butter on the pears.
- Mix the eggs, milk and both sugars with a whisk.
- Mix the baking powder with the rice flour. Add half of this mixture to the batter and whisk in. Whisk in the remainder of the flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients, whisking well,
- Pour the batter over the pears in the tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the centre is set and firm.
- Cool for 10-20 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife point and carefully invert onto a plate. Enjoy as is or with fresh cream.
- Add pears to the top of the batter – some of the pieces will sink. Sprinkle them with brown sugar. Lessen the butter to 1/4 cup
- Ginger spice version. Omit the pears. Increase the cinnamon to 1 tsp. Add nutmeg, all spice, cardamom and/or powdered ginger to your taste. Lessen the butter to 1/4 cup
- Super ginger version. Add minced, candied ginger to the batter. Lessen the butter to 1/4 cup