This Omnia vegan orange cake was demonstrated by me (Sophie) at Vanlife Eats 2023. This vegan orange cake is moist and packed full of flavour. The vinegar mixes with the baking soda to help the cake rise beautifully. Being as we do not have an oven in the van we always bake in the Omnia but this can be made in a conventional oven too.
When using non-dairy milk in the van we love to use Overherd powdered oat milk. Being powdered means it stores well in the van. You can make up what you need so there’s no waste. It’s really easy to mix up too! We love it.
Please rate this recipe if you try it, and feel free to leave a comment too. We would love to know if you like it 🙏
Omnia vegan orange cake
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cup Self raising flour
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Non-dairy milk We use Overherd powdered milk
- 1/3 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar (any vinegar will do)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- Orange zest of one orange (save some for the frosting)
For the icing
- 1 tub Vanilla flavour frosting
- 1 tsp Orange extract
- Orange zest
For the cake
- If you like to pre-heat your Omnia, now is a good time to do that. Leave the silicone mould out of the oven.
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients and mix together.
- If using powdered milk mix this with your water now following the instructions on the packet.
- Zest the orange
- Pour in the milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and orange extract to the dry ingredients. Mix through but do not over-mix or you will knock out the air from the vinegar and baking soda combination.
- Gently mix the orange zest through the batter.
- Pour into the silicone mould and place into the Omnia oven over a low/medium flame.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through
- Leave to cool for a couple of hours in the mould.
- Mix in the orange extract & orange zest to the tub of frosting. When the cake is cool, remove from the mould and add the frosting on top of the cake.