When you think of Tom Kha Soup, vanlife may not be the first thing that springs to mind. This tom kha soup with shrimp is a one pan dish, making it pretty great for vanlife.
This campervan recipe is a firm favourite of our featured vanlifers May & Derek. The pair travel in their beautifully converted van with their super cute doggy. They have a strong emphasis on eating healthily especially when travelling. Healthy eating is one of the reasons they attribute to their good health and very rarely becoming unwell.
The tom kha soup they have shared with is filling and nutritious, not to mention delicious. if you want to read their feature, you can do so right here! You can also see their main instagram account here.
If you try this vanlife recipe of Tom kha soup with shrimp, please rate it and feel free to add a comment below.
Tom Kha Soup with Shrimp
- 3 cup Chicken / Vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Fresh galangal
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Small Thai chili
- 1 Bunch of scallions
- 1 Stalk lemongrass
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 15 oz Light coconut milk (1 can)
- 1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
- 10-12 Medium Shrimp (approx 1lb)
- 1-2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro
- Jasmine rice, cooked optional
- Heat the chicken stock in a medium-sized pot and add in the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and chilli. Simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add in the shrimp and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and coconut milk. Simmer for another 10 minutes until the coconut cream mixes in well.
- Taste the broth and add in fish sauce to taste
- Remove from heat, remove lemongrass stalks and stir in lime juice and the scallions.
- Stir in cilantro, reserving a small amount for garnish.
- Can be served as a soup or over jasmine rice for a heartier meal option.