Tom Kha Soup with Shrimp
- 3 cup Chicken / Vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Fresh galangal
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Small Thai chili
- 1 Bunch of scallions
- 1 Stalk lemongrass
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 15 oz (1 can) Light coconut milk
- 1 cup Shittake Mushrooms
- 10-12 Medium Shrimp (approx 1lb)
- 1-2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro
- Jasmine rice, cooked
- Heat the chicken stock in a medium-sized pot and add in the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and chilli. Simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add in the shrimp and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and coconut milk. Simmer for another 10 minutes until the coconut cream mixes in well.
- Taste the broth and add in fish sauce to taste
- Remove from heat, remove lemongrass stalks and stir in lime juice and the scallions.
- Stir in cilantro, reserving a small amount for garnish.
- Can be served as a soup or over jasmine rice for a heartier meal option.