A delicious butternut squash, apricot, chickpea and chard curry by Martin Dorey. So many delicious flavours and colours. A fantastic vegan one pot curry. You can serve this curry with rice or bread, either way we guarantee you are going to be wanting to mop us the sauce.
This vegan butternut squash curry can be adapted to include whatever is in season. The fact that is all cooked in one pot is ideal for vanlife, as it means less washing up!
Butternut Squash, Apricot, Chick Pea and Chard curry
This delicious vegan butternut squash curry is packed full of freshness and flavour. If you like creamy, hearty one pot wonders this one is for you. And the great thing about much of the ingredients is that you can often find it without packaging in the supermarket! Brilliant. If you can’t get chard, use spinach or green beans.One-pan – Stove top meal – Tinned food
- 1 Butternut squash peeled & cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 handful Fresh chard leaves chopped
- 1 Red onion
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed/sunflower oil
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 pinch Red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 400 g Chickpeas 1 tin
- 400 ml Coconut milk 1 tin
- 8 Dried apricots chopped
- Seasoning to taste
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- 1 tbsp Flaked almonds
- Heat a pan over a medium heat. Add the oil (I used rape seed oil) and the chopped onion. Add the butternut squash and chickpeas and stir so everything is coated with spices and onions.
- When the onions are soft, add the garlic and chilli and cook for a minute or so. Add the spices, curry leaves and stir to cover the onions
- Add the coconut milk and chopped apricots and bring to the boil before simmering for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Season.
- After 20 minutes or when the squash is tender, remove from the heat and add the sliced chard leaves. Allow them to wilt before serving.
- Serve with the chopped coriander leaves and a sprinkling of almond flakes.
Calories: 1083kcalCarbohydrates: 134gProtein: 29gFat: 57gSaturated Fat: 38gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 95mgPotassium: 2943mgFiber: 28gSugar: 38gVitamin A: 42111IUVitamin C: 143mgCalcium: 396mgIron: 18mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!