Pizza Protein Bowl
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 oz Cremini or Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 5 oz Turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb Lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 Green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock or water, as needed
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Dried basil
- 1 tsp Dried fennel
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried red pepper flakes
- 20 Olives, sliced vertically (black, green, or kalamata)
- Heat a large 12” nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and season with salt. Sautee for a couple of minutes then transfer to a holding plate.
- Return the skillet to the heat and Sautee the pepperoni for a couple of minutes, careful not to burn. Transfer to the same plate as the mushrooms.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining 1 tsp of olive oil, then add the onions along with salt for seasoning. After sautéing the onions for a few minutes add the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Next, add in the ground meat and mix well to combine with the onion and garlic mixture. Continue to brown the meat, mixing often, until cooked through.
- Add the tomato paste and seasoning into the meat mixture and mix to combine. You may need to add a touch of water here to help the seasonings distribute (especially if your meat is very lean). Add the green peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pepperonis, mushrooms, and olives to the pan. Stir well to combine and let everything heat through.