This delicious recipe of chilaquiles was our winner for Van Bake off’s Mexican week. Chilaquiles is a great breakfast dish. Using pre-made salsa is a great tip for making chilaquiles more quickly. Making it a great vanlife recipe for any campervan.
This recipe was submitted by @amerimanx_travels for mexican week in van bake off.
- Stop top
- Mixing Bowl
- 6 Corn Tortillas old El Paso Street Food
- 1/4 cup Sunflower oil for frying
- 1 Jar Red or green salsa
- 1 tsp Salt
- 80 g Grated Cheddar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream
- 4 handfuls Shredded chicken
- 1 can Refried beans
For the Tortilla chips
- Fry the tortillas. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add about a quarter of the tortilla wedges and cook, flipping once, until lightly brown and crisp.
- Drain the tortilla chips. Drain the freshly fried tortilla chips on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat this process until all tortillas are fried, adding more oil if needed.
For the salsa
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the salsa and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes (the consistency of the salsa will vary depending on the size and juiciness of the tomatoes). Add additional broth to thin out the salsa, if needed. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Add the tortilla chips to the salsa and stir carefully to coat the chips. Cook until the tortillas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Serve warm. Serve warm garnished with avocado or guacamole, crema, queso fresco, and/or fried eggs, if desired.