This recipe of French Toast with berry compote is great for cooking outside or in a van. The perfect fuel for hiking or biking. We serve ours with chicken sausage for extra protein and yumminess! Otherwise it is a great vegetarian meal. You could definitely mix it up and use any type of bread or even waffles for the french toast part!
Berry Compote is pretty easy to make in the van too. Here’s how we make ours, simmer some fresh berries with a bit of sugar on a pot for 15-20 minutes until to your desired consistency.
Alternatively here’s a really simple recipe for a berry compote that can be made on the stove top in minutes, and only needs 3 ingredients!
French Toast topped with Berry Compote with a side of Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1/2 Cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Pinch salt
- 4 slices maple streusel bread
- 1 Handful fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Chicken breakfast sausage optional
- Whisk almond milk, eggs, salt and sugar together in a shallow bowl.
- Lightly butter a skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Dunk the bread in the egg mixture, soaking on both sides.
- Transfer to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. (3-4 mins per side)
- Place on a dish and top with berry compote, a slice of butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Note: serve it with a side of chicken breakfast sausage for a sweet and savory taste!